Cromarty Firth case study for marine environment research
10 May 2023
The Cromarty Firth and the Solent have been selected as sites for case studies in a research project which aims 'to understand the different values we hold towards our local marine environment, the diverse benefits it provides, and how nature-based solutions can potentially support community development.' The findings will be used to inform the wider management of marine biodiversity across the UK.
The project, ‘Sea the Value: Marine Biodiversity Benefits for a Sustainable Society', funded by the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) and running from 2022 to 2025, is led by Prof. Nicola Beaumont from Plymouth Marine Laboratory and includes as partners the University of Aberdeen and the Moray Firth Coastal Partnership.
The University of Aberdeen and the Moray Firth Coastal Partnership will focus on the connection between coastal ecosystems and communities in the Cromarty Firth. We plan to hold a series of workshops over the next 12 months to map and understand the natural and human features, identify the benefits they provide and how they may change over time. All the project outputs, including maps, data and reports will be provided to you for future use.
We are planning to host two informal online introductory events:
- Session 1: Monday 15 May 2023 at 13:00-14:00
- Session 2: Tuesday 16 May 2023 at 19:00-20:00.
You are welcome to attend one or both of these events. Please RSVP to Vicki and Tavis (via the email addresses below) stating which session(s) you would be interested in attending. You will be sent a Zoom meeting link closer to the date of the event.
Read the invitation email in full
- 20/09/2023 Sunak rows back on green policies
- 18/09/2023 Take the Wee Bus to the Food Festival
- 16/09/2023 VOLUNTEERING OPPORTUNITY - TBI needs Trustees - closes 30 September
- 14/09/2023 Excellent articles in SCA newsletter
- 05/09/2023 Inverness Academy Street proposals approved
- 04/09/2023 'World will miss climate targets' - UN report
- 02/09/2023 A9 dualling consultation closes 15 September
- 01/09/2023 Cromarty Camping opens - news from Cromarty
- 30/08/2023 Community Council elections
- 22/08/2023 Muir of Ord Post Office closing on 22 September
- Saturday 30 September
- NA Highland Good Food Partnership AGMs and local events
- 10:00 North Kessock Community Market
- Saturday 7 October
- 10:30 Community Assembly - Highland Renewable Energy Company?
- 13:00 BLACK ISLE REPAIR CAFE North Kessock Village Hall
- Saturday 14 October
- 10:00 Ardgay Community Market
- NA Cromarty Community Market
- Saturday 21 October
- 10:00 Culbokie Community Market
- Thursday 26 October
- NA Cycling Scotland Conference 2023 - August update
Events to add to calendar? Contact Us.