Avoch to Munlochy and
Drumderfit Active Travel Link
Active travel link consultation now open
Avoch to Munlochy & Drumderfit Active Travel Link - the background
TBI has been trying since 2014 to facilitate the creation of a cycle and pedestrian path to avoid the busy main road between Avoch and Munlochy and continue to provide safe walking and cycling to the Drumderfit car park on the minor road to Drumsmittal. After a feasibility study identified possible routes, progress slowed in the face of anticipated problems in acquiring the necessary land. Activity resumed in 2019 with a further consultants' review of the route and the recent announcement of a public consultation process, but problems over land acquisition remain unresolved.
TBI Convenor Julian Paren outlines the thinking behind the proposal for a path and reviews the progress to date.
The road from Avoch to Munlochy is one of the most well-used in the area. As well as local trips, both drivers and cyclists use it to commute to Inverness, with others coming into the area to visit tourist sites, shops and guest houses. Transition Black Isle (TBI) has been working to improve safety on the road - and to make it accessible for people traveling on foot, by bike or traveling in a wheelchair, mobility scooter or with a pram.
In 2014, TBI sought an alternative solution - a dedicated cycle path that could be used by commuting and leisure cyclists, walkers as well as parents with prams and young children, or the infirm riding mobility scooters.
Other documents about the cycle path are available at
Resources / Document library / Transport / Cycling / Avoch-Munlochy cycle path .
Part of the likely route of the cycle path - image Richard Dorrell, Geograph, Creative Commons Licence.
- Thursday 4 March
- 19:00 Transition summit - Making sense of the Climate Emergency
- NA SFHA / Changeworks virtual conference - 'Housing now, Housing's future'
- Friday 5 March
- 09:30 Transition summit - What is breaking through as the food system breaks down?
- Saturday 6 March
- 11:00 Climate Change Garden - The Fairtrade Foundation
- 09:30 Transition summit - Does environmental sustainability have a problem with social justice?
- Monday 8 March
- 16:00 A New vision for Land Use in Scotland - Scottish Ecological design Association
- Tuesday 9 March
- 19:30 'Economics for Activists' 5 - Nancy Folbre
- 09:30 Transition summit - What if... Neighbourhood Democracy!
Events to add to calendar? Contact Us.
Add Your Business
Do you run a sustainable business on or near the Black Isle? Add it to the TBI business directory