Climate activist jailed for mentioning climate crisis
10 February 2023
The Guardian 7 February 2023 Damien Gayle
An Insulate Britain activist has been jailed for eight weeks for contempt of court after disobeying a judge’s instruction not to mention the climate crisis as his motivation during his trial for taking part in a road-blocking protest.
David Nixon, 36, a care worker from Barnsley, was sentenced at Inner London crown court on Tuesday after admitting contempt of court the day before by using his closing address to begin telling a jury about his reasons for protesting.
After refusing twice to apologise for defying the judge's instruction, Nixon was sentenced to eight weeks in prison for contempt of court.
He said. “I don’t mean to disrespect the court, or maybe I do mean to disrespect the court because the court is disrespecting itself. It’s not upholding what it is there to uphold.”
A spokesperson for Insulate Britain said locking people up for “telling the truth in court” was the “mark of an extreme authoritarian regime”.
One can't help wondering whether it isn't the judge who should be penalised for bringing the judicial system into disrepute, rather than a climate protester jailed for mentioning the climate crisis.
Latest News Stories
- 22/05/2023 Opportunity Black Isle - Place Plan second stage consultation Saturday 3 June
- 18/05/2023 Success for pension fund divestment campaign
- 12/05/2023 New Community Asset Transfer bid for Raddery House and wood
- 10/05/2023 Cromarty Firth case study for marine environment research
- 20/04/2023 More from Not Coul on Coul Links golf course application
- 14/04/2023 Fighting for Environmental Rights
- 10/04/2023 HEF introduces new style newsletter
- 08/04/2023 SSEN consultation on new transmission line
- 08/04/2023 UK energy and Net Zero policies under attack
- 06/04/2023 SG to set up Climate Hubs across Scotland
- Thursday 1 June
- 14:00 Open Garden Dundonnell House
- Saturday 3 June
- 14:00 Open Garden Glenkyllachy Tomatin
- 10:00 Black Isle Place Plan second stage consultation
- Saturday 10 June
- NA Great Big Green Week 10 -18 June
- 10:30 Cromarty Community Market
- Saturday 17 June
- 09:30 'Ecologist' online event - Small is the Future
- 10:00 Culbokie Community Market
- Thursday 22 June
- NA Cromarty Firth marine research project workshop
Events to add to calendar? Contact Us.
Sign up here for the monthly TBI newsletter