Transition Town Forres and Moray Waste busters
14 January 2023
A recent email newsletter has renewed our contact with Transition Town Forres, who contributed to the original setting-up of TBI. The newsletter is advertising three TTF events next week - a Climate Cafe on the subject of home heading and insulation on Thursday, a Games Night on Friday and a Repair Cafe on Saturday.
All of these will take place at premises they call the 'Environmental Education and Healthy Living Centre' on the site of their Community Garden at Bogton Road in Forres. They describe the centre as
'a vibrant hub where people can share and exchange information, resources, encouragement and smiles. We have courses, talks, film screenings and discussions around topics like cooking, nutrition, gardening, vermiculture and composting.'
There are suggestions from time to time that TBI would gain greater visibility from having premises of some kind as a base for similar activities and the storage space required for a 'swap shop'; but realising such a concept is obviously more complicated in a rural area with scattered centres of population, like the Black Isle, than in a compact small town like Forres.
Moray Waste Busters
TBI is mentioned on the website, with a link to ours, as one of TTF's 'Friends and Partners', and another entry in the list reminded us about a splendid organisation called Moray Waste Busters.
The Waste Busters website refers to their origins
Moray Waste Busters was originally set up in 2002 as a food recycling/wormery/compost making site. That's why we still have polytunnels. We sold compost bins and wormcast made from food waste collected from local hotels. The worm turned though when we noticed how much good, reusable items were being thrown out in the adjoining recycling centre. Since then we’ve grown into a thriving social enterprise.
- 26/01/2023 Job opportunity - HGFP Community Growing Co-ordinator
- 24/01/2023 'Retained EU law' under threat - revocation bill passed by Commons
- 18/01/2023 Bus times - Stagecoach timetable changes
- 16/01/2023 Scottish 'Green Freeports' announced
- 14/01/2023 Transition Town Forres and Moray Waste busters
- 12/01/2023 NESCAN Hub newsletter received
- 10/01/2023 Legal challenge to Cumbria coal mine
- 30/12/2022 NH&I Climate Hub expands coverage
- 24/12/2022 Is Hydrogen the fuel of the future?
- 23/12/2022 Biodiversity - international, national and local aspirations
- Saturday 28 January
- 10:00 North Kessock Community Market
- 11:00 Transition Town Forres need help with hedge cutting
- 19:30 CCT - Talk by Shona Maclean on 'The Bookseller of Inverness'
- Monday 30 January
- 08:30 Transition to a zero waste and circular economy in Scotland - online commercial conference
- Tuesday 31 January
- 14:00 Opportunities for large scale reuse in Scotland
- Wednesday 1 February
- 18:00 'Riverwoods' film at UHI
- Saturday 4 February
- 13:00 Black Isle Repair Cafe North Kessock
- 17:30 Transition Town Forres - Imbolc fundraising event
Events to add to calendar? Contact Us.