Fracking ban in England lifted
30 September 2022
The UK Government has lifted the ban on Fracking in England which has been in force since 2019. The ban was imposed after earthquakes at potential fracking sites in Lancashire, on the grounds that there was inadequate scientific and technical knowledge about its effects.
However, in response to a Government request for a review of new scientific evidence from 2019 to the present, the British Geoogical Survey concluded in a report submitted in July that
"forecasting the occurrence of large earthquakes and their expected magnitude is complex and remains a scientific challenge. As a result, our ability to evaluate and mitigate risks from hydraulic fracturing-induced seismicity and predict the occurrence of larger earthquakes during hydraulic fracturing operations is also a challenge".
In other words, scientific evidence which would justify the lifting of the fracking ban does not exist.
- 26/01/2023 Job opportunity - HGFP Community Growing Co-ordinator
- 24/01/2023 'Retained EU law' under threat - revocation bill passed by Commons
- 18/01/2023 Bus times - Stagecoach timetable changes
- 16/01/2023 Scottish 'Green Freeports' announced
- 14/01/2023 Transition Town Forres and Moray Waste busters
- 12/01/2023 NESCAN Hub newsletter received
- 10/01/2023 Legal challenge to Cumbria coal mine
- 30/12/2022 NH&I Climate Hub expands coverage
- 24/12/2022 Is Hydrogen the fuel of the future?
- 23/12/2022 Biodiversity - international, national and local aspirations
- Saturday 28 January
- 10:00 North Kessock Community Market
- 11:00 Transition Town Forres need help with hedge cutting
- 19:30 CCT - Talk by Shona Maclean on 'The Bookseller of Inverness'
- Monday 30 January
- 08:30 Transition to a zero waste and circular economy in Scotland - online commercial conference
- Tuesday 31 January
- 14:00 Opportunities for large scale reuse in Scotland
- Wednesday 1 February
- 18:00 'Riverwoods' film at UHI
- Saturday 4 February
- 13:00 Black Isle Repair Cafe North Kessock
- 17:30 Transition Town Forres - Imbolc fundraising event
Events to add to calendar? Contact Us.