Climate Change School strike in Fort William
12 January 2019
Following the example of Greta Thunberg in Sweden, school Climate Change strikes for an hour every Friday morning, are spreading worldwide.
The National reports
"Holly Gillibrand, 13, a pupil at Lochaber High School in Fort William, is joining a growing global movement in which children stage Friday strikes. It began last year when Greta Thunberg, 15, from Stockholm, stopped attending school in the run-up to a Swedish general election, demanding the government reduce carbon emissions.
"After the election, she continued to strike only on Fridays, gaining worldwide attention and inspiring pupils across the globe to follow her lead. Gillibrand announced her intention to strike on Twitter last month, saying in a tweet addressed to Prime Minister Theresa May: “Every Friday I am going to be striking from school because I will not sit silently while you and the British government contributes to the destruction of our only planet!”
"Gillibrand said: “I am striking because we are running out of time. Thousands of children around the world should not be having to miss classes because of our leaders inability to treat the climate crisis as a crisis.”
"By last month, more than 20,000 students had held strikes in at least 270 cities around the world."
Jane Cassidy 11 January
Climate protest at Lochaber High School
- 10/07/2019 Cuadrilla to re-start fracking in Lancashire
- 06/07/2019 'Dolphin Shuttle Bus' now running
- 05/07/2019 Cromarty Firth Heritage Trail proposal
- 04/07/2019 Rosemarkie Beach Cafe takes #goplasticfree challenge
- 28/06/2019 Useful information from Changeworks / Home Energy Scotland
- 12/06/2019 Holiday Park proposal for former Black Isle Wildlife Park
- 10/06/2019 CCT newsletter - planning permission for Glascairn Project
- 30/05/2019 Scotland's Gardens Scheme Open Gardens programme
- 24/05/2019 Evanton Community Wood new shelter project nears completion
- 22/05/2019 The Resurgence Trust Publications and Activities