Climate Change School strike in Fort William
12 January 2019
Following the example of Greta Thunberg in Sweden, school Climate Change strikes for an hour every Friday morning, are spreading worldwide.
The National reports
"Holly Gillibrand, 13, a pupil at Lochaber High School in Fort William, is joining a growing global movement in which children stage Friday strikes. It began last year when Greta Thunberg, 15, from Stockholm, stopped attending school in the run-up to a Swedish general election, demanding the government reduce carbon emissions.
"After the election, she continued to strike only on Fridays, gaining worldwide attention and inspiring pupils across the globe to follow her lead. Gillibrand announced her intention to strike on Twitter last month, saying in a tweet addressed to Prime Minister Theresa May: “Every Friday I am going to be striking from school because I will not sit silently while you and the British government contributes to the destruction of our only planet!”
"Gillibrand said: “I am striking because we are running out of time. Thousands of children around the world should not be having to miss classes because of our leaders inability to treat the climate crisis as a crisis.”
"By last month, more than 20,000 students had held strikes in at least 270 cities around the world."
Jane Cassidy 11 January
Climate protest at Lochaber High School
- 14/04/2019 Strathpeffer Science and Eco Day Saturday 20 April Community Centre
- 14/04/2019 Culbokie Community Market Saturday 20 April
- 08/04/2019 Grow North Session 2 Saturday 13 April Redcastle - Create your own Wormery PLACES STILL AVAILABLE
- 06/04/2019 Cromarty Community Market Saturday 13 April
- 04/04/2019 'There is no Planet B' - North Berwick pupils have their say
- 28/03/2019 Young Climate Change protesters meet Scottish Parliament committee
- 16/03/2019 Site visit and opposition evidence at Coul Links planning enquiry
- 15/03/2019 #YouthStrike4Climate - Another day of Climate Change protest by young people
- 12/03/2019 Scotland a Good Food Nation?
- 18/02/2019 Coul Links golf course planning enquiry opens