Highland Council Garden Aid service to start
24 May 2020
Highland Council has issued the following press release
26 May 2020 For immediate release
Council’s Garden Aid Service to start
The Highland Council’s Housing Service currently operates an annual garden aid scheme, cutting grass in approximately 1,300 council house gardens.
The Garden Aid service is for older or disabled tenants who don’t have anyone to help them cut their grass.
The seasonal annual start of the 2020 Garden Aid service has been delayed due to the Coronavirus pandemic, but the Council is pleased to announce that it plans to restart the service from Monday 1 June.
Chair of the Council's Housing and Property Committee, Councillor Ben Thompson said: “Health and safety is our number one priority, so the decision was made to delay this years’ cutting season. We have now taken on board updated Government advice, so are making arrangements to start up the 2020 service from next Monday.
“Over the last week housing staff have telephoned over 700 tenants to find out whether they are happy for us to cut their grass in line with the current guidance and protective measures. During these phone calls tenants have been advised that they can opt-out of the next few cuts if they wish to do so. So far no one has opted out and tenants have been very supportive of our approach.”
The Council has contacted contractors to advise them that they will be able to start work from next Monday. The plan will be that they attempt to carry out two cuts per month as normal for the remainder of the season, accepting that there may be a longer than usual delay between the first and second cut due to gardens taking longer to cut than normal.
Cllr Thompson added: “The contractors will adhere to the Government guidelines regarding social distancing and safe working practices. We would like to thank all our Garden Aid tenants for their patience and understanding.”
In anyone has any queries regarding Garden Aid then they are asked to contact Housing Services on 01349 886602.
Corporate Communications Officer
The Highland Council, Chief Executive Service
Tel: 01463 702073 Mobile: 07776481267
- 04/07/2020 Covid-19 - Local information
- 02/07/2020 'From Degrowth to Decolonization' - Ecologist magazine
- 30/06/2020 Stagecoach bus timetable changes from 29 June
- 22/06/2020 Black Isle Partnership Covid-19 Newsletter
- 18/06/2020 More garden pictures received and wanted
- 06/06/2020 New website page 'Coronavirus recovery'
- 04/06/2020 TBI signs 'Just & Green Recovery' letter to FM, and responds to Scottish Government recovery consultation
- 02/06/2020 Newsletter from Planet Sutherland
- 26/05/2020 Ross-shire Voluntary Action June newsletter out now
- 24/05/2020 Highland Council Garden Aid service to start