Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Munlochy roundabout
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Other Groups and Forums -> TransportMessage format

Anne Thomas
Posted 2011-01-21 21:28 (#528)
Subject: Munlochy roundabout

Extreme Veteran

Letter sent to Tim Sweeny from Trans serve and his reply!

'As a representative of Transition Black Isle I attended a meeting of Knockbain Community Council last night re plans to put in a roundabout at the Munlochy exit of the A9. Whilst this is obviously a hazardous junction at the moment, I'm not sure the current plans are the best way to tackle the problem as they are likely to increase CO2 as people slow down and go round the roundabout. My main suggestion is that there should be a bridge or an underpass.

There may be carbon savings by people not to driving as far, as they will be happier to turn right towards Munlochy, from the A9 but this might have impacts on Munlochy.

I would like to make sure cycle paths are protected and improved with better signs as many people do not know the cycle track along the old A9 exists. There should also be bus stops incorporated, ideally used by passing buses as well as the 26 from Munlochy.
Currently there are no proper bus stops between the Tore roundabout and the Kessock Bridge though there are unsigned request stops in the laybys that only locals who have been here a few years know about.

I would like to see a small park and ride including 'cycle and ride' cycle racks. One large park and ride at Tore will not serve the needs of the Black Isle that well as many people currently do not go past Tore and they would need to double back to use it. Smaller park and rides at bus stops in key centres e.g. Fortrose, Munlochy, North Kessock and this one as well with much more publicity towards 'cycle and ride' with racks at all bus stops and more at Park and Ride centres would reduce traffic much more. However this needs to be in conjunction with a much improved bus service, including a mid afternoon, evening and Sunday service, currently very poor. Recent reductions in service to Rosemarkie have only exacerbated the problems on the Kessock Bridge and this needs to be sorted before the road works on the bridge next year.

General suggestions; Free bus passes for teenagers in London led to increased use of buses (I think about 30%) and significant reduction in congestion, also less stressed parents having to taxi them everywhere! This might also be worth considering. It would be cheaper than building more roads. Maybe free bus passes for the period of the road works or some vouchers for tickets for a few trips so that people try it out would be worth considering. Using an Oyster Card system as in London also speeds up people getting on to the bus meaning the journey times are reduced and the buses and drivers are more productive.

We would be very happy to discuss with you ways in which we can help reduce the carbon footprint of the Black Isle caused by transport and are hoping to set up a transport group.

Dear Anne Thomas

Thankyou for your email. I have passed it on to our roads manager and the designer for the project. With regards to your concerns about increased CO2 concentrations I can advise you that Air Quality is evaluated for projects such as this under the Environmental Impact Assessment Regulations and an assesment will be made as to whether there is likely to be any significant impact as a result of any proposed scheme.

I would like to reiterate that at this stage of the process these are draft / outline proposals only, and the reason for this consultation is to help us assess the impact any junction improvement / upgrade might have on the local environment. Detailed consultation, including presentations to the Community Council and others, will be made should the scheme be progressed.

Thankyou once again for your comments.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
colindun
Posted 2011-01-26 13:57 (#536 - in reply to #528)
Subject: Re: Munlochy roundabout

"With regards to your concerns about increased CO2 concentrations I can advise you that Air Quality is evaluated for projects such as this under the Environmental Impact Assessment Regulations"

Odd. Tim seems to see CO2 emissions as only a clean air issue, rather than a greenhouse gas problem also. A bit short-sighted to say the least.

Colin
Anne Thomas
Posted 2011-01-26 19:27 (#537 - in reply to #528)
Subject: Re: Munlochy roundabout

Extreme Veteran

I wrote and told him he had missed the point. He replied assuring me that he hadn't!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software