Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Transition Black Isle are having a potato day!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Forums -> News, Events and AnnouncementsMessage format

Agric
Posted 2011-02-11 22:25 (#557)
Subject: Transition Black Isle are having a potato day!

Veteran

Potato days are events where people can come and buy many varieties of seed potatoes by the tuber.

Apologies for sending this out as a general email, time is short. I've sent it to:

The Highland Peoples' Food Seed Bank / Transition Inverness
Transition Forres
Transition Alness
Black Isle Horticultural Society
(Tain Allotment Society - not yet, will when I have their email addy)
Cromarty Allotments and Gardens Society
Elgin Allotment Association
Inverness Allotment Association (?)
Nairn Allotment Society
Rosemarkie Allotment Association (?)
TBI Grow North
Loch na Mhoid Community Garden
Netherton Community Garden
...and a few other TBI related

(you'll guess who you are, I hope)

If you can think of any other organisations I should inform please forward this to them and let me know so I can include them on later emails. Transition Gairloch and Transition Invergordon exist according to Transition Scotland but I couldn't find any contactable online evidence of them. Other allotment and gardening societies you can think of, too.

It will be held on Sunday 6th March from 1pm to 4pm at:
Findon Hall
Culbokie
Inverness-shire
IV7 8JJ

Map: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=260861&Y=859794&A=Y&Z=115

We're planning to have 50+ varieties of seed potatoes, jerusalem artichokes, seed and plant swaps, a TBI stand... and anything else we or you can think of that is related. If you want a stand you can have it free. We plan to have teas / refreshments etc. Will be providing info on potato varieties, growing potatoes, might even manage a talk or two but no promise on that.

What I really need now is some idea of likely demand so I can get stuff sourced / ordered. So, if you could do some very quick consultation and give me a rough idea of what demand might be coming from your corner (eg 10 people wanting 40 potatoes each) I'll be able to size my ordering so we don't run out or have too big a surplus. I'll need to order within about 1 week so the sooner I have info the better.

If you or any you ask have requests for specific varieties then please let me know as soon as possible and I'll do my best to provide. I hope to provide a means of taking advance orders for small quantities of specific varieties for collection if people can't make it on the day or want to ensure they get certain varieties, etc.

Tubers will be priced at no more than 20p each - I hope to make it less but it will depend on probable demand and volumes I can order in(and perhaps what I can blag - if you know a local sed potato grower / supplier then please let me know) - the better info I have on likely demand, the cheaper the price we're likely to be able to charge.

Potato growers tend to get twitchy by this time of year if they haven't sourced their seed potatoes by now. I can understand that ;-)) I need you to say to them: don't worry, TBI potato day will provide. We'll have the biggest selection north of Perth if my research is correct - and that's a big part of the reason for TBI potato day (oh, and the postage surcharge for here, LOL).

This is all being done in a rush, the idea only occured to me 3 weeks ago, next year I'm sure it will be better but let's do what we can to make this one a good one!

Hope to hear from you soon, Agric
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software