Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sharing the costs of living
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Forums -> DiscussionsMessage format

peacefulpersuits
Posted 2011-01-05 22:30 (#484)
Subject: Sharing the costs of living

I don't know about anyone else out there, but I am finding it a struggle and a futile exercise, trying to pay heating bills, rent, etc etc.
Imagine all those people who live in a house on their own, all paying individual rents, heating costs, council tax and still feeling cold and broke!!
Imagine then if a few individuals got together and shared the costs, more comfort less costs, more sustainable.
If anyone out there is remotely interested in the idea of sharing a living situation, I would love to hear your suggestions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Martin
Posted 2011-01-06 17:18 (#485 - in reply to #484)
Subject: Re: Sharing the costs of living

Veteran

We had quite a long look at a Danish idea, co-housing - in summary, a bunch of people with their own living accomodation, but with a central shared space, so people could share meals, have a few guest rooms that were regularly used, rather than each have a guest room that's empty most of the time, maybe share laundry facilities, etc. It's been pretty slow to catch on in the UK, I think mainly because of the cost of land zoned for housing, which makes it difficult for amateur developers to take the plunge. There's one being built in Lancaster, see http://www.lancastercohousing.org.uk/ - but we got dispirited and decided to do the conventional thing for now. Sorry if this is a diversion from what you had in mind!
Anne Thomas
Posted 2011-01-10 12:05 (#491 - in reply to #484)
Subject: Re: Sharing the costs of living

Extreme Veteran

We're wondering about having a lodger but we were thinking of a student as the house tends to fill up again in the holidays. The Danish idea does seem very sensible as people's accommodation needs change throughout their lives and too many older people are living in houses that are too big for them with young families struggling with not enough space. The housing shortage could well be sorted within existing stock if things were more flexible.
Agric
Posted 2011-01-17 22:51 (#516 - in reply to #484)
Subject: RE: Sharing the costs of living

Veteran

Correct Christine! I came to the same conclusion about 5 years ago, sold my house not far from the top of the market in 2008 and became a nomad. The basic overheads of owning a property (council tax, utilities, insurance, repairs...) are pretty huge even before a mortgage. Factor in the inevitability that interest rates will go up and house values will probably go down and it's a no-brainer for anyone / couple without dependents.

Perhaps I made an error by commiting myself to the Black Isle for the first 2 years of my nomadness (though I do like this place), I should have gone more widely WWOOFing earlier. Now I have a good handful of places in various parts of the UK that I am welcome for short or long stays (days to months) just about any time I'm free.

OK, I am fairly useful, but anyone with a modicum of skills and the right attitude can quickly learn to be that. I never thought that I was easy to get on with but I suppose I must be - at least for those that I manage to tolerate, LOL.

My living costs are about £3000 a year, mostly wine, tobacco and car. I have enough funds to last me well beyond the life of this economic system or, failing that, well beyond when I receive a pension. I don't pay direct taxes, nor claim any benefits, though I do earn a little money occasionally.

It wouldn't suit everyone, I guess. I've never had a strong urge for possessions and property, nor much need for the (illusory?) security of such things. I wish I'd started doing this many years ago, such a waste of time living within the system all those years.

I'm sure it fits me well for the probable future, and I now know several very good places I could go to if TSHTF suddenly.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software