Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is the Gulf Stream slowing down?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Forums -> WorldwatchMessage format

Anne Thomas
Posted 2010-12-02 22:07 (#460)
Subject: Is the Gulf Stream slowing down?

Extreme Veteran

Another 'exceptional' winter and being an avid fan of the film 'The day after tomorrow' where the gulf stream stops and there is a big freeze made me start to wonder about our own 'freak' weather. Isn't this exactly what we would expect if the gulf stream did slow down? Isn't it likely to with all that fresh water from melting ice burgs messing it up? So I did some investigating and found out that actually the change from weather ships to satellites means there is less data than there used to be about deep sea temperature, but certainly according to one website it could be a strong possibility.
http://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid=12455&tid=282&cid=9986
Meanwhile other websites are saying there is no evidence, but is it just that they don't have enough data?
It could mean we will actually have to plan for a cooling country here whilst forest fires and drought increase elsewhere. That's why its probably better to talk about climate change than global warming.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
confused
Posted 2010-12-05 21:17 (#471 - in reply to #460)
Subject: RE: Is the Gulf Stream slowing down?

let me say first I don't know the answer obviously..who does? I do however know the editor of a marine newspaper in the Republic of Ireland whose tome deals with everything to do with the fishing industry there. He tells me that whenever he talks to the men on the trawlers around Ireland that they keep telling him they are catching more and more species associated with warmer water and less species associated with colder water.
Martin
Posted 2010-12-06 12:05 (#473 - in reply to #471)
Subject: Re: Is the Gulf Stream slowing down?

Veteran

Didn't Alex Hill in his talk last year say he thought the talk of the Gulf Stream slowing down/ switching off was a bit fanciful? We have a meteorologist friend who says that current weather pattern is pretty much the same as we had in the cold spell last year - high pressure over Greenland. But I don't know whether that could be cause by Gulf Stream changes.

I don't really think this is all that extreme. Although last winter was the 2nd coldest in Scotland since 1914, that was largely because it was consistently cold, none of the individual months were record-breakers.
maggie dove
Posted 2010-12-09 20:48 (#476 - in reply to #460)
Subject: RE: Is the Gulf Stream slowing down?

Regular

I also remember Alex Hill saying he saw no evidence for slowing down of the gulf stream.
I was very interested last week on radio 4 hearing a report about weather in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Aparently now as last winter when we had another cold spell Labrador and Newfoundland have no snow!
Normaly there is snow there by the end of october.
However the report also stated that this year worldwide continues to be one of the warmest ever.
Martin
Posted 2010-12-20 13:15 (#479 - in reply to #476)
Subject: Re: Is the Gulf Stream slowing down?

Veteran

Maybe I was being a bit hasty in saying this weather isn't all that extreme! We spoke to friends in Falkirk who were waist-deep in snow.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software