Job Opportunity with The Sheiling Project Strathfarrar
04 February 2019
February 2019 From the Sheiling Project website
The Shieling Project is an off-grid learning centre based in Glen Strathfarrar, near Beauly in the Highlands of Scotland. The project is all about outdoor living – from looking after our livestock to making real buildings, from weaving baskets to making burgers from the meat we have raised here. The tradition of the shieling where folk lived outdoors all summer herding the cattle, gives us a window onto the past, but also helps us look forward to a sustainable future.
Come and work at the Shieling Project
We are looking for a couple who will be on site staff from April to September in 2019. This post is for practical outdoor people who like crofting, cooking, and children (though not cooking children!) We have our lovely converted caravan for you to live in, and a wide range of tasks to get stuck into. From cooking with groups when they are visiting, running educational sessions in the evenings, to helping with the livestock, and the maintenance of all the buildings.
The successful folk will not be shy of hard work, mud or learning how to fix things. You will live in a spectacular glen, but it will be remote and there is no hiding from the weather! You will have your own space to grow vegetables, and it will be a great way to learn more about crofting and education. When groups are staying you will get all your meals with them, but you will sort your own food otherwise. There is a small salary with this post, and if you really get into the project there are opportunities to work more within the organisation.
Please get in touch to ask about this post
Dunmaglass, Struy, Beauly, Inverness-shire, IV4 7JX
- 14/02/2019 “How Do We Get From Here to There"? Discussion meeting Thursday 21 February Fortrose
- 12/02/2019 School Climate change protest strikes - Fort William teenager featured in The Guardian
- 05/02/2019 Scotland net Zero by 2045? - New Climate Change report by WWF
- 04/02/2019 Job Opportunity with The Sheiling Project Strathfarrar
- 02/02/2019 February Newsletter out now
- 22/01/2019 "Our house is on fire" - Greta Thunberg speaks at World Economic Forum at Davos
- 16/01/2019 Events at Logie Steading
- 12/01/2019 Climate Change School strike in Fort William
- 10/01/2019 BITT January Bulletin - Tourist Tax and 'Slow Adventure' tourism
- 08/01/2019 New bus timetables in operation