Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Meditation and mindfulness practice group
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Other Groups and Forums -> Heart and SoulMessage format

John Wood
Posted 2011-04-07 13:48 (#645)
Subject: Meditation and mindfulness practice group

Regular

The Heart and Soul Group has folded, but I am starting a mindfulness and meditation practice group here in Cromarty which I hope will help to fulfil some of its functions. It is not part of Transition Black Isle but nevertheless should be very much in line with the ideas behind the Transition movement, so I hope it will appeal to some TBI people.

This will be completely practice-based, non-sectarian, and open to all (regardless of beliefs), and should be suitable for complete beginners as well as experienced meditators. As well as meditation I hope to widen this a little to embrace some mindfulness practice in the tradition of Vietnamese Zen master and peace activist Thich Nhat Hanh. However this isn’t a ‘class’ and I am not proposing to ‘teach’ meditation and / or mindfulness practice. The plan is for an informal and mutually supportive group in which anyone can offer the benefit of their own experience. We can just see how it goes, and what people want.

My idea at the moment is to start after Easter, and to meet once a week - perhaps 7pm – 8pm, either on Tuesdays or Thursdays (all other evenings seem to be booked up!). If you are interested, which day /times would be best for you? Feel free to suggest alternatives! Please let me know if the idea appeals to you in general, as well as any thoughts or ideas you might have about this at this stage – and do feel free to pass on details to anyone else you think might be interested.

If you live a long way from Cromarty, I hope you’ll support this and of course you would be just as welcome on a very occasional basis – or even if you like, just once to see what it’s all about!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Teen
Posted 2011-05-26 21:03 (#702 - in reply to #645)
Subject: Re: Meditation and mindfulness practice group

Regular

Hi John,
I was very sorry to see that the Heart and Soul group had folded. That might seem a bit rich coming from me, as I never made it to a meeting of the group, not cos I didn't want to, more down to meeting overload and geography. However I am keen to explore more about this kind of work.
Has this new group kicked off and if so what night did you decide on?
Teen

John Wood
Posted 2011-05-26 22:58 (#703 - in reply to #702)

Regular

Yes, the group started at the beginning of May here at my house, 7 Duke Street, Cromarty on Tuesday evenings at 7.30pm. It is not part of Transition Black Isle but very much in line with the Transition ethos, and open to anyone interested.

So if you do happen to find yourself free and in the Cromarty area on a Tuesday evening, you would be really welcome to just turn up. There’s no cost and no need to commit to regular attendance! Please also let anyone else know who might be interested. It doesn't matter whether you have practiced for years or are a complete beginner.

The current pattern is: 10 minutes arrival and settle, then 15 minutes each of formal sitting / walking / sitting meditation, followed by deep listening and / or informal discussion for about 15-30 minutes for those able to stay and join in. However this is not set in stone and if the group wishes, we can change this and / or also include other mindfulness practice.

As I have said previously this is a practice / self-help group, not a class, but I will try to provide help if needed and have some resources like relevant books, CDs, DVDs etc I am prepared to lend if anyone is interested to find out more about this practice.

We aim to start our sitting meditation at 7.40 so if you are coming, to avoid disturbing people please either arrive before then, or just join us after our formal session finishes at about 8.30 if you like.

The group follows the practice of Thich Nhat Hanh, and is open to all regardless of background or belief.

There is another group in this tradition which meets at Findhorn on Monday evenings and Saturdays. Please contact me if you are interested in that.

John
maggie dove
Posted 2012-06-14 15:41 (#1021 - in reply to #645)

Regular

Just read this and thought I would share it.

Aware of the suffering and degradation brought about by the unsustainable use of material resources on the Earth, we are detirmined to find ways to use resources with mindfulness and with a clear view of the long term effects of their use on future generations and ourselves. Knowing that collective suffering such as global climate change, deforestation,water scarcity,and the pollution of air ,soil and water arises from the daily actions of human beings, we are committed to transforming our way of life in order to bring about peace and harmony within our family, our local eco systems and the world.
Deer Park Ecological Initiative

Deer Park is one of the practice communities following the engaged Buddhist teachings of Thich Nhat Hahn -Vietnamese Zen Master
maggie dove
Posted 2012-06-14 15:41 (#1022 - in reply to #645)

Regular

Aware of the suffering and degradation brought about by the unsustainable use of material resources on the Earth, we are detirmined to find ways to use resources with mindfulness and with a clear view of the long term effects of their use on future generations and ourselves. Knowing that collective suffering such as global climate change, deforestation,water scarcity,and the pollution of air ,soil and water arises from the daily actions of human beings, we are committed to transforming our way of life in order to bring about peace and harmony within our family, our local eco systems and the world.

Deer Park is one of the practice communities following the engaged Buddhist teachings of Thich Nhat Hahn -Vietnamese Zen Master
maggie dove
Posted 2012-06-14 15:41 (#1023 - in reply to #645)

Regular

Teen
Posted 2012-06-14 17:00 (#1024 - in reply to #645)

Regular

Wise words well put, thanks for sharing Maggie.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software