Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Double glazing in historic buildings
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Energy Group -> Saving EnergyMessage format

Martin
Posted 2011-03-10 09:21 (#594)
Subject: Double glazing in historic buildings

Veteran

For anyone who is tearing their hair out trying to put double glazing in a listed building, I came across some people called Histoglass who do really thin double glazed units, see http://www.histoglass.co.uk/ . I've no idea how much it costs - and their promotional literature certainly looks very expensive - but it looks very elegant.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
John Wood
Posted 2011-04-07 13:54 (#646 - in reply to #594)
Subject: Re: Double glazing in historic buildings

Regular

I made contact with these people. An elegant solution as Martin says but they don not retro-fit existing windows so it does mean replacing them completely. There are other people too who offer something similar - including a supplier here in Cromarty (of Canadian windows...) - you can see these installed at the Salmon Bothy on Cromarty Links by the car park and very good I think they look.

I don't know why the planners were so insistent on single glazed windows in my house - the ones I took out were 1970s ones and nothing like the originals. Still they did require them despite my objections, so I will be putting in secondary double glazing when I can afford it.

Historic Scotland don't like secondary glazing and recommend traditional wooden shutters, which have a very low u-value, but of course when they are closed they keep the light out as well as the heat in!

John
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software