Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

art and craft page up
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Other Groups and Forums -> Arts, Crafts and SkillsMessage format

tommy
Posted 2011-01-05 18:07 (#483)
Subject: art and craft page up

The main page of the art and craft section is now up showing a brief overview of what we got up to last year. Its time to start thinking about this year and we need to get plans together soon if anything is going to happen, I want more willow, a project with schools using local history and folklore to prophesise the future Brahan Seer style and to get some celtic knotwork in there somewhere to, what do you want and how will we make it happen?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Martin
Posted 2011-01-06 17:23 (#486 - in reply to #483)
Subject: Re: art and craft page up

Veteran

We were wondering the other day whether we should have another basket-making session while we still remember some of what we learnt last time. I'd also be interested in trying out some low-intensity building techniques, cob/ rammed earth/ clay plasters, etc.
Penny
Posted 2011-01-06 20:53 (#487 - in reply to #483)
Subject: RE: art and craft page up

Regular

Following our basket course I went on a rush seating course and then re-seated a couple of chairs. Its a lovely natrual technique that uses a species of rush called Scirpus. I gather it does grow in Scotland although the stuff I used came from Holland - but it is increasingly difficult to source from there.

I'd also be interested in dealing with sheep fleeces - I presume you have to wash and comb them - and then spinning and knitting or weaving. Shetland fleeces have lots of natural colouring so those might be the best to avoid the need to use dyes - although we might be able to find some natural ones.

More baskets? Indeed, yes. I'd support gathering for another session with some books to keep us on the reasonably straight and narrow.
maggie dove
Posted 2011-01-10 11:32 (#490 - in reply to #483)

Regular

I`m very keen to do more basket making--however getting willow soaked in times of frozen water is nigh on impossible unless someone is prepared to use their bath which will, after the soaking be stained.
i suggest we ask someone to help us for a day in late feb or March.
Cob building looks very interesting too
Penny
Posted 2011-01-11 16:14 (#496 - in reply to #483)

Regular

I wonder if we need help for more basket making given that some of us have already had a course. I usually find that I learn more if I try something on my own once I've been taught the basics - and we could help and remind each other - any perhaps teach any new-comers. I know there's a lot to learn and you can't learn it all in a weekend - but just doing something is a great way to learn.
Anne Thomas
Posted 2011-01-15 15:06 (#497 - in reply to #496)

Extreme Veteran

I think if we had a suitable venue we could run an introductory basket making course for those who haven't done any yet but those who've done some could come along too and mainly just practice but be on hand to help new people and also get any help themselves if they need it. If anyone is throwing out an old bath maybe we could use it for soaking. Maybe 'dig it in' in a corner of one of the community gardens?
Martin
Posted 2011-01-15 23:16 (#498 - in reply to #497)

Veteran

Susan suggested that a better arrangement than a bath is to get a sheet of plastic and prop it up around the edges with bits of wood to keep the water in - so you can make it any size and dismantle it when not needed. On the other hand, if anyone's throwing out an old steel bath, we'd be interested - I have in mind a home made hot tub, already have one bath donated by Vanessa but 2 would be more sociable! Also any bits of flue pipe...
maggie dove
Posted 2013-01-23 15:23 (#1183 - in reply to #483)

Regular

Great to see the arts and crafts up Tommy.
I really like your celtic calligraphy--we should be using that for some of our publicity.
I have just cut my willow and am up for suggestions of uses for it--some of it very thick--more for garden than baskets.
I have realised I get a lot of satisfaction from "making"-- even if its at a fairly basic level.
I`m keen to do more with willow and with wool--we have someone bringing a spinning wheel to the next Cromarty market on Feb 9th
Anne Thomas
Posted 2013-01-23 15:41 (#1184 - in reply to #483)

Extreme Veteran

Maybe a basket making demo at a market would work.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software