Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rachel's Simple Sauerkraut
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Food Group -> RecipesMessage format

Julie
Posted 2016-05-30 11:41 (#1569)
Subject: Rachel's Simple Sauerkraut

Simple Sauerkraut (takes four weeks until ready to eat)
Fermented sauerkraut contains many of the healthy probiotics that you'd find in a bowl of yoghurt.It also contains plenty of iron which can boost energy levels and your immune system.

You'll need a bowl, large jar or 'crock'
muslin
a heavy weight

1 white cabbage
2 tablespoons sea salt
half teaspoon caraway seeds
5 juniper berries
(spices can be omitted for those that don't like them)

1.Trim, core and finely shred the cabbage.Mix the cabbage with the salt in a large bowl.Squeeze the cabbage a bit with your hands which will help it to release liquid.
2.Transfer your cabbage to your bowl, large jar or crock and add the spices between layers of the shredded cabbage.
3.Lay a whole cabbage leaf on top of the shredded cabbage and pack it down as tight as you can.
4.Cover the bowl with a sheet of muslin and sit a weight on top.Cover with a lid if you have one but ensure that it is not airtight.
5.Ferment for 3-4 weeks in a cool place.The cabbage should be submerged under liquid (if it isn't, add a little salt to the pot because the cabbage does need to be submerged for the recipe to work).Skim off any scum.
6.When the sauerkraut has collapsed and become soft, decant into clean jars and keep in a cool place for up to a year.

Edited by Julie 2016-05-30 11:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Martin
Posted 2016-07-26 20:45 (#1573 - in reply to #1569)
Subject: Re: Rachel's Simple Sauerkraut

Veteran

I've just started learning about lacto-fermentation - a very interesting way of preserving vegetables (not just cabbage, there are lots of options). One thing that has struck me is that it's easy to put too much salt in - the sauerkraut ends up tasting pretty much as salty as it starts. So I'd recommend starting with less salt than the recipe suggests, and taste the raw cabbage once it's all mixed with the salt. I think it should taste about as salty as lightly-salted crisps! And the book I'm working from suggests that when it's finished, it's best stored in the fridge - or at least below 55 deg F (sorry, it's an American book. I think that's about 11 C) to slow down the continuing fermentation process.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software