PEN Scotland Can democratic innovations save democratic life?
10 December 2020, Starts: 19:00, Ends: 21:00
Between upheaval & renewal:Can democratic innovations save democratic life?
Thursday 10 December 2020 7pm – 9pm by Zoom
Popular Education Network Scotland are delighted to welcome Oliver Escobar, Senior Lecturer in Public Policy at University of Edinburgh, to join this session.
The challenge of reimagining the relationship between people and institutions has become even more imperative in the context of the current public health crisis. We live at a time of global democratic recession, with a growing gap between the politically rich and the politically poor across the world. Power inequalities then translate into inequalities in health, wealth, education, income, etc, with direct impact on people’s lives and the prospects for communities of place, interest and identity.
In this session we will explore whether democratic innovations (i.e. new processes and institutions for participation, deliberation and influence) can help to tackle political inequalities, improve community life and upgrade democracy for the century ahead.
Please register at our Website www.penscotland.com/events-1
or on Eventbrite
- Thursday 22 April
- 19:30 TBI Admin (Directors) meeting, 7.30 online
- 19:30 Skye Climate Action election 2021 hustings
- Saturday 24 April
- 20:00 Resolis Community Arts - Alasdair Fraser and Natalie Haas
- Monday 26 April
- 14:15 Nobel Prize Summit - 'Our Planet, Our Future'
- NA 'Carbon Conversations' workshops - Lairg & District Learning Centre
- Tuesday 27 April
- 18:00 Nobel Prize Summit - 'Our Planet, Our Future'
- Wednesday 28 April
- NA Nobel Prize Summit - 'Our Planet, Our Future'
- Friday 30 April
- NA IMFLDP Consultation closes 5.00
Events to add to calendar? Contact Us.
Add Your Business
Do you run a sustainable business on or near the Black Isle? Add it to the TBI business directory