Caledonian Sleeper - the change in policy explained
28 January 2018
Caledonian Sleeper have today (Monday 29 January) put full information about their changed fares structure and railcard policy to October and beyond on their website
Under "All services up to 24 October 2018 inclusive" this page states
"From 25 February all services will operate using our current fleet of trains and existing fare structure. This means that all previously accepted Railcard discounts are valid. For more information visit - sleeper.scot/tickets-timetables/railcards ."
However, as at Tuesday 30 January, the railcards page has not been updated, and still shows the previously proposed withdrawal of railcard discounts for shared occupancy.
The following section appears towards the end of each of the Lowland and Highland sections of the travel-after-25-february page
"Shared Room Products from 25 October
As mentioned, from 25 October, all our accommodation products will be offered on a “hotel style” room rather than “per traveller” basis. Due to this change, our share with a stranger products will no longer be available. However, all classes are available to book on a solo or twin basis.
We will offer a discounted rate per person to guests who share a room when travelling together. These are available to all of our guests and you do not need a Railcard to take advantage of these fares.
We also have great value Family Tickets for those guests travelling with children. This will automatically be shown during the booking process as long as no railcard is chosen."
The highlighted paragraph prompts two questions:
Why do they not continue to offer the current normal railcard discounts?
Will the 'discounted rate' offer the same saving as the railcard discount, and will it be possible to tell?
The final section of the website page is
I’ve already booked to travel after 25 February but want to change my booking?
. . . . . . . .
Should you wish to change your booking (for example, for a product that was not available at the time of your original booking), please contact our Guest Service Centre with your booking reference number to hand - https://www.sleeper.scot/contact
The 'contact' page has a number for the telephone booking office and a contact form to be submitted online. Customers phoning the booking office will be told that bookings cannot be changed until 25 February. This agrees with information we have received unofficially, although the date has never been formally announced.
- 16/08/2018 Scottish Government consultations closing - Climate change Bill and Environment Stategy
- 12/08/2018 Tore Bike Racks Uncovered
- 10/08/2018 'Come and Try it' Orienteering event Saturday 25 August Culbokie Woods
- 08/08/2018 Black Isle Cares Meals on Wheels looking to expand
- 06/08/2018 'Free the Change' Courses and Conversations - Learning for Sustainability Scotland
- 04/08/2018 Black Isle Tourism Team August bulletin
- 18/05/2018 Zero Waste Stores - Plastic Free Coastlines
- 17/05/2018 Cruise berths expansion proposed for Invergordon
- 16/05/2018 GROW Observatory experimental growing projects in Austria
- 24/03/2018 Gardeners - Help is at hand!