Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Book on friut and veg growing
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Food Group -> Food Group General DiscussionMessage format

maggie dove
Posted 2012-09-13 11:48 (#1125)
Subject: New Book on friut and veg growing

Regular

I have recently bought a copy of
Fruit and Vegetables for Scotland--what to grow and how to grow it Kenneth Cox and Caroline Beaton
Published 2012 by Birlinn ISBN 978 1 78027 046 3
I had not heard of either of the authors although Kenneth Cox has also written Scotland for Gardeners and Garden Plants for Scotland.
This book is well reseached by the authors who are practical, experienced gardeners. There are numerous photo`s of good practice, varieties of fruit and veg which do well, protection, pests and diseases and illustration of gardens from the Uists to Orkney to Ayrshire.
There are pictures of allotments near Kirkwall and hints on potager growing and permaculture.
Did you know that guerrilla gardening is first recorded in 1649 ? by the `Diggers` under Gerard Winstanley in Surrey?
There is nothing on seed saving however.
My only gripe is the knocking they give organic gowing in the introduction but then appear to promote organic practices in the rest of the book!
So I am certainly thinking of investing in Saskatoons (Amalachier alnifolia) soon!
The highland Library service has already purchased some copies so put in a request if you want some fireside reading while you plan next years growing by the fire.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software