Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pheasant stew
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Food Group -> RecipesMessage format

tommy
Posted 2010-10-21 20:57 (#411)
Subject: pheasant stew

ingredients

Pheasant-road kill, 2 miles
Hazel nuts- foraged poyntzfield burn, under 1 mile
Hogweed-foraged, under 100 yards
Burdock-foraged, under 100 yards
Ground elder-foraged, under 100 yards
Wild chervil-foraged, under 100 yards
Chantarelles-foraged, under 500 yards
Brown birch bolete-foraged, under 100 yards (orange is better but none on the day)
Lycoperdon pyriforme ( a common woodland puffball with no simple name I’m aware of)-foraged, under 500 yards
Potatoes-grown, community garden, 9 miles ( but cycled! )
Onion-grown, community garden
Garlic-grown, community garden
Cabbage-grown, poyntzfield, under 1 mile
Runner Beans –grown, poyntzfield, under 1 mile
Kale-grown, home
Cooking apples-picked, home
First do an autopsy of your pheasant, the more recent the kill , the more damage it’s reasonable to put up with. My one was still warm when I found it so although the guts had been a little mangled it was still fresh. It got hit from behind rather than a nice clean knock on the head, but the meat was good and this recipe involves boiling the hell out of it anyway. Its easiest to skin, rather than pluck the bird, then cut all the good meat and fat from the carcass.
Next, shell and crush a few handfuls of hazel nuts and put them in a pan with some fat from the pheasant, warm them on a low heat and then add the onion, chopped finely, there’s enough oil in the nuts and fat to fry the onion.
When the onion looks done, chuck in the pheasant carcass with along with the burdock root, hogweed stems, ground elder stems and wild chervil. This is the perfect time to dig burdock but a bit late for the rest, places that have been strimmed or mown tend to have a second flush, hogweed sometimes even flowers again. Alter the quantities to taste but the aim is to get a really earthy, herby, gamey stock. Add enough boiling water to cover and simmer.
While waiting for the stock take more crushed hazel nuts, fry an onion with them as before and add in the pheasant meat, chopped into lumps, fat left on. When the stock is ready add with the potatoes, mushrooms, cabbage and kale into the pot. Simmer until the potatoes are softening, add in 2 diced cooking apples and the runner beans, simmer until they are soft and your done. 100% local, organic and free. Also, pheasant are fat right now, easily as much meat as a chicken, well worth picking up.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
maggie dove
Posted 2010-11-07 17:47 (#427 - in reply to #411)
Subject: Re: pheasant stew

Regular

this is excellent but how do I vote?? I need to learn about hogweed and other edible greenery
Anne Thomas
Posted 2010-11-10 06:30 (#437 - in reply to #411)
Subject: Re: pheasant stew

Extreme Veteran

Need to be careful about kids viewing the dissection! The only time we attempted road kill pheasant it put Simon off meat for a couple of months!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software