Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Useless inventions
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Energy Group -> Saving EnergyMessage format

Martin
Posted 2010-08-02 21:08 (#295)
Subject: Useless inventions

Veteran

Penny and I were having a chat about labour-saving devices which don't really save any labour but just use up resources. There was an electric carving knife that fortunately didn't catch on. There's the motorised leaf-blower - can it really be that much easier than a rake? And we've just become very enthusiastic about Austrian sythes, which as far as we can see are as quick as strimmers, and much less smelly and noisy - so why bother with a strimmer, or a lawnmower for that matter? We wondered about food processors - in our youth there were various hand-held shredding and slicing devices that seemed to work well. Does anyone else have any ideas for machines that should be un-invented?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
confused
Posted 2010-08-31 19:23 (#325 - in reply to #295)
Subject: Re: Useless inventions

Yes......4x4 vehicles that are used for taking children to school and shopping only!

Apart from that I'd love it if someone would uninvent Windows Vista, it really was not necessary and just a gimmick to bring in cash to Microsoft (I may have given away a clue as to what I do !)
confused
Posted 2010-08-31 19:23 (#326 - in reply to #295)
Subject: sorry duplicate post

ie. dodgy old mouse/arthritis!

Edited by confused 2010-08-31 19:24
Teen
Posted 2010-09-02 20:51 (#331 - in reply to #326)

Regular

A mouli grater and a mincer - handy kitchen items which don't require electricity. Haven't seen a mincer in a while but you can get mouli graters I think, good for coleslaw etc.
Martin
Posted 2010-09-02 21:47 (#334 - in reply to #331)

Veteran

I looked for the mouli mixer on the Moulinex website, but couldn't see anything without an electric plug.

If/ when we start getting serious about saving energy, there's any number of things we do at the moment which seem pretty frivolous ways of heating the planet - ironing, for instance, is a habit I found very easy to break once I stopped going to work in a suit. Are vacuum cleaners really all that much better than the old Eubank carpet cleaners? I suspect the answer may depend on how clean you want your carpets - but maybe carpets aren't such a good idea if they need vacuuming.
RichardR
Posted 2010-09-27 09:45 (#362 - in reply to #295)
Subject: RE: Useless inventions

Personal Water Craft (Jetskis). Only used for showing off to (and irritating) people on the shore.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software