Wanted - new apple recipe!
Teen
Posted 2010-09-02 20:59 (#333)
Subject: Wanted - new apple recipe!

Regular

Got loads of apples and need some inspiration for something to make.

HELP!
There may even be a reward... Apples anyone?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Anne Thomas
Posted 2010-09-05 01:55 (#335 - in reply to #333)
Subject: Re: Wanted - new apple recipe!

Extreme Veteran

Try a few blackberries as well as these are just coming now. Charlotte is a really useful way of using up bread that is a bit stale but not otherwise looking unfit to eat. Make bread-crums out of it and sprinkle on top of some cooked fruit with a bit of sugar and lemon and drizzle with a little oil, then cook in a moderate oven for about 20 mins.
Yes please to apples. You can also sell them to Ryefields to be made into apple juice if you have too many.
Martin
Posted 2010-11-11 15:15 (#445 - in reply to #333)

Veteran

I was a bit inspired by Freya's apple butter, which she had on display at the last N Kessock market. I'm assuming it's an appley version of lemon curd, but I may be barking up completely the wrong tree (maybe a lemon tree?). I've looked for recipes on-line, but they all seem to have lots of extra sugar, and I thought Freya said hers didn't. Does anyone have a recipe without too much sugar?
Penny
Posted 2010-11-12 10:17 (#446 - in reply to #333)
Subject: RE: Wanted - new apple recipe!

Regular

We've just been de-coring apples and cutting them into rings and threading them on a string to dry above the stove. After a couple of weeks we have fantastic dry apple rings that can be stored in air tight tins over the winter - with no sugar or extra fuel used.

At the last Grow north event, Toni demonstrated an brilliant little de-coring, peeling and slicing into rings device. Again, no electricity needed and apparently available on line for less than £10.
wrightandres1
Posted 2014-02-28 08:32 (#1402 - in reply to #333)

I think the best you can do with a lot if apples is that make juice and store them in bottles. You can sell them in the market or directly sell the apples in the market to some apple juice factory.